Sunday, February 10, 2008

Spring cleaning...

Every lent I need to "flip" my sewing room from winter sewing mode to spring sewing mode. I pack up all the winter fabric that I didn't use and pull out the fabric for Easter dresses. I managed to get most of it done this past week, so now I have space to catch up on my mending and sew springier outfits for my girls. I still need more than two pairs of bottoms (I have a long denim skirt and a pair of jeans I am wearing in rotation), so I have a pile of twill and cord that will hopefully become my new skirt). I also tossed all the items that need to be mended/altered into one container, so that I can find them all!

After I finished clearing off my sewing table yesterday, I sewed up a pair of knit pants for my youngest. She is getting too tall for most of the pants that fit her, but the next size is too long or they don't fit over her cloth diapers, or both. These are from the ottobre pattern I had traced out just before Christmas. It fits, but even with her diapers the rise is too long. THAT is unusual!

Some of the items in the mending/alteration pile: a skirt I made last year that will need to be taken in since I was still carrying a lot of baby weight, my dd's favorite sheet that has holes in it and her canopy that needs a new look (the flowers were getting a bit old), a few shirts that may or may not be salvageable, and a skirt that I started to alter a long time ago...before I got pregnant with my now one year old, lol! I also have a pair of jeans I need to mend for my dh (I'll probably try something similar to Annie's method with some adjustment for the flat fell seam.) I really should just put reinforcement patches on BEFORE he tears through the knees...I may try to mend a pair of mine too, so that I can have something to wear around the house at least!

I also have a few UFO's that I haven't finished up from my sewing rampage before Christmas. I need to finish up the boxers I was going to make for Dh...I can give them too him for Valentine's day :) I still need to finish the pj shirt for dd's cat pajamas so that I can retired another pair of her too small pj's. I have a pair of twill pants that I cut out for her that will be perfect for spring wear (they are bright teal!).

In Easter sewing news, my oldest girl really wants to wear the dress she wore last year, which is fine. It is still plenty long (it is dress made from a daisy kingdom pattern that almost classifies as vintage now...the dress that it was originally purchased for is now about 15 years old, and this dress will be 8 this summer!). So I can pull out some of my pieces of short yardage and figure out what I am going to make for her younger sister. I have some embroidered linen yardage, and some dotted swiss...all purchased back when my oldest was small enough to need a yard or less of fabric! Since Easter comes very early this year, I do need to make sure that they are warm enough to wear, or that they have sweaters!

My oldest was enthralled with a dress that is in my recycling pile, so I will be cutting it down to fit her. I love the fabric, but the dress will never fit me again, and it needed to be mended the day it was made since it had a run-in with the serger blade...

No comments: