Here is the completed Superman costume. I wanted to make sure it was very washable, since (as I suspected) he would be eating in it. He also decided it would be good to wear to bed. After being initially very upset with his pants because they had pockets, he came around, partially because of his hidden fish. I pointed out that superheros had to have special pockets to store things in too! They are a bit tricky to get into now that he has the trunks sewn over the top, lol! All the costumes were made from Ottobre patterns (with a few modifications, obviously!). I made the shirt a size too big to accommodate the muscles. I didn't take into account the loss of length from the stuffed shoulders, but was able to fix that by fastening the belt to the bottom of the shirt. I actually put wide elastic in the back of the belt to pull it in and make his muscles look bigger. The cape actually has loops and the shirt has buttons on it. I made the cape a bit wide, so it comes unbuttoned a bit too often, but he isn't constantly requesting that I tie it on like his playsilk cape!
If you click on Superman, you can see the companion Hawkgirl costume that my oldest requested. It was made with fleece. She has very long arms. I didn't hem the sleeves at all, so if I make her any shirts from this pattern this year I will have to add more length! Her pants were from the Winter 2004 issue for leggings. I added a bit of width. I will be able to recycle both of these patterns into some much needed pajamas...

No comments:
Post a Comment