Sunday, July 01, 2007

I need a dress to wear for a wedding next Saturday

Think I can get it done? I am not sure what style dress I want, but it does need nursing access. I am not sure what the facilities will be like, so don't want to depend on a private room somewhere!

I am starting with a muslin of Simplicity's version of the Sense and Sensibility's Regency pattern. I am making View B. I have yards and yards of orange gauze that I am using. I was going to start with a shirt, but if I make the whole dress I can lose another 9 yards ;) I may hate the style on me too, so I needed to take that into account.

My sister made view A, so I have called and consulted with her a few times. I am planning on putting a drawstring in the bottom of the gathered bodice with nursing access under it. I debated using elastic instead, but it is very gathered to fit right, and I figured it would be difficult to do my typical non-blanket nursing if I used elastic to gather it that much. I added about 3" in the center front to adjust for my FBA, and lengthened the bodice about 2". I figured I could get away with adding there because of the style. It might not work in a heavier fabric though, so I may slice and spread closer to the bust point next time. I basted it all together, and it fits okay. I had added some to the front skirt panel that I am going to take back out and I need to figure out the nursing underlay. I have been dealing with sick kids all week, so haven't gotten as far as I hoped! I tore my basting out, and will be cutting out the skirt lining and putting the dress together again today or tomorrow. This is NOT going to be worn to the wedding (the color is lovely, but not quite the look my dh would appreciate...) so I have lots more sewing to do!

No comments: