Sunday, April 03, 2011

Whew.

I think this has to count as one of the most complicated items I have sewn. It does look nice, but it would have been easier if it didn't have to look "just" like Felicity's dress, lol! Someone mentioned that a ruffling foot or a tucking fork would have saved me from the gazillions of pins that were used in the making of this dress. It would probably be worth locating one to borrow if I ever attempt it again. Though I suggest that someone should probably just shoot me first.
pleating 3 yards of ribbon. Ouch!
I started off by complicating my task by getting fabric for my sister. She had taken apart a dress, and gave me all the bodice pieces. I didn't have any bits that were wide enough to cut any skirt pieces out on the fold, and I needed to figure out the grain lines of random bodice pieces along the way. Did I mention that there are at least 11 pieces (not counting the multiples of any of them) to this dress? I don't have that many pieces to dresses I make real people! Needless to say, side bodice pieces on 18" doll dresses are not very large!

I got it all cut out, and my machines re-threaded on Wednesday. I realized that I needed single faced satin ribbon. I was terrified that I would make it to the store and realize that the royal blue of the fabric didn't come in a ribbon the right size or shade. I braved the fabric store with all the kids, and thankfully found the ribbon. The only items I needed to purchase for this project were that ribbon and the ombre ribbon that I had to buy from ebay. I may need to buy some more snaps. I didn't take into account that I needed 6 extra studs for the second stomacher when I picked the size I used. The next day, when I would have been sewing, the first of my kids came down with a stomach bug. Thankfully I got a good bit of sewing in Friday evening, and the birthday girl was gone and the other kids cooperative on Saturday morning, since everyone else came down with the flu Saturday afternoon! The birthday party has been postponed, which will give me a chance to make the pinner cap and the second stomacher once my ribbon arrives.
Almost done! The stomacher is just tucked under the top bodice in this pic.

No comments: